8 Food additives to avoid at the grocery store
Everyone’s trying to eat healthy but did you know there are many additives in your so-called healthy food aisle at the grocery store that are actually bad for you. Here is a list of items to avoid when trying to shop for healthy food. We’re here to help raise awareness on food additives to avoid at the grocery store:
1. High Fructose Corn Syrup – High doses of HFCS have been proven to literally punch holes in the intestinal lining allowing nasty byproducts of toxic gut bacteria and partially digested food proteins to enter your blood stream and trigger the inflammation that we know is at the root of obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, dementia, and accelerated aging. READ MORE
According to a recent article HFCS can effect brain function in just weeks. Learn more here
2. Potassium Bromate (bromated Flour) -is a powerful oxidizing agent that chemically ages flour much faster than open air. Potassium bromate bleaches dough, and enhances its elasticity by strengthening its network of molecular bridges, which makes for the formation of tiny, thin-walled bubbles as the bread rises. The end product is fluffy, soft and unnaturally white. Learn more here
More foods to avoid here
3. Sulfur Dioxide – To avoid sulfites in dried fruit, choose organic brands that don’t use preservatives including sulfur dioxide, in their produce. Organic dried fruits won’t last as long as fruits containing preservatives, but freezing fruit will extend its shelf life, according to National Geographic. Health risks explained here
4. BHT & BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole & butylated hydroxytoluene) – preservatives found in cereals, chewing gum, potato chips, and vegetable oils. This common preservative keeps foods from changing color, changing the flavor or becoming rancid. Effects the neurological system of the brain, alters behavior and has a potential to cause cancer. BHA and BHT are oxidants which form cancer-causing reactive compounds in your body.
Click here to sign the petition to stop the production of BHT in cereal
5. Aspartame – products were the cause of 80% of complaints to the FDA about food additives. Some of these symptoms include headache, dizziness, change in mood, vomiting or nausea, abdominal pain and cramps, change in vision, diarrhea, seizures/convulsions, memory loss, and fatigue.
6. Sodium Nitrite – is a common ingredient added to processed meats and fish that helps preserve the food and prevent bacterial growth that can cause botulism. This food additive also adds attractive color to meat and fish.
7. Sodium Nitrate – is a salt that is added to hot dogs, bacon and other cured meats to help preserve them. In higher doses nitrates are also used as fumigates to kill rodents and these nitrates can leach into the soil, contaminating the food supply. Research both sodium here
Find out more about processed meats here
8. Monosodium Glutamate (sodium glutamate or MSG) – is the sodium salt of glutamic acid, one of the most abundant naturally occurring non-essential amino acids. MSG is used as a flavor enhancer it balances, blends, and rounds the perception of other tastes.More about msg here
We know one easy solution to avoid all harmful effects of food additives, and that is to EAT ORGANIC FOOD!